Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June is Busting Out All Over!

So me and Lins were on the same wave length (when are we not?) when we both decided to let the world know that June is here! For anyone whose ever seen the musical Carousel, "June ..." is a great little diddy, about the wonders of, you guessed it, June! And here we are :) I've been praying for this time of year for some months now. We had a brutal winter, and while the spring had its great days, it didn't want to commit and and stay warm. This Memorial Day weekend was really perfect, gorgeous weather all 3 days. Me and Roe traveled back to Long Island for a bbq at Nick's, complete with great food, a trusty keg and good old beer pong. Oh, & Lindsey introduced us to a great game, finger buster; get a few friends around a solo cup filled with beer, place all fingers on said up, show off those counting skills and you embark on a remarkable past time. I couldn't help from calling it ass buster, but either way it was fun.



A bunch of the old gang got together, both Copozzi twins and Ang, and like Chris said, Dave driving us home, felt like high school. Fun night. On Sunday, me and my sister went to the beach. Normally, its a 15 minute drive to Long Beach depending where you stop. After running into Dave and his jet ski on Merrick Road, it ended up taking us 2 hours to get to the beach. Mind you, every possible exit to the south shore was blocked off bc of that damned air show ... so I took a different route and called Marybeth for directions to Robert Moses, taking the back streets. Once we arrived to the beach the headache of traffic quickly faded. We had a relaxing few hours on the completely packed beach, and even got some color. For those that know me well, that means Ker got tan and I got red :P Our drive home was where the real traffic debacle awaited us. After getting over the bridge I saw that Ocean Parkway was open and cars were gliding right by. Thinking the airshow was over, I got on the parkway and drove over a half hour towards Jones Beach only TO BE TOLD TO TURN AROUND by state troopers! So me and a few hundred other cars U-turned around and drove all the way back to Robert Moses, over the bridge and onto another route. Now, all of this could have been avoided, had they put a lovely little sign that said, NO THROUGH TRAFFIC - IF YOU REALLY WANT TO GO HOME, DON'T GO THIS WAY! Oy, situations like these make me so grateful that I no longer have to drive and the MTA schleps me to and fro while I snooze or read.


Kerry letting the insanity of traffic get to her - quite entertaining!

Once we were home, me and Kerry took a bike ride, ate some Chinese food and called it a day. On Monday, Keri had a bbq and her grill-tastic boyfriend Paul whipped us up some phenomenal burgers. Bacon and cheese mixed into the actual burger meat. Genius. He also made some great corn on the cob with this spicy mayo sauce. It was good to be home, always special to see Amanda and Dee and of course Keri & the Ilasi clan. I didn't get to see my brother Matt's band P.O.O.P play at Spencer's bbq down the block, but I'll catch the next show. Oh speaking of shows, this weekend really kicked off with a tremendous performance at Local 269 on East Houston by The Asterisk. Rob, Paul, Ben & Brad, wonderful show, as always. A night filled with live music & friends, is always a great night. And fun to see Dan, even though I'm super jealous he's going to Hawaii soon!

The Asterisk*

In keeping with this music thread here, before Rob's show, me and Lindsey ate at Moby's vegan/organic cafe on Rivington St, Teany's - really tasty, and for the non vegans, they have a really cool chicken salad sandwich and lentil chili. yum!


As I'm sitting here writing this, Nicole's fan is peacefully blowing air my way, and I know I'll have to get an A.C. soon, and that's the greatest news! Good night and happy June!

3 comments: