Thursday, June 10, 2010

Take a look, it's in a book ...

I really love to read. I think I always have. It probably explains why there was a summer in jr. high, when I read every single Danielle Steel novel I could get my hands on. While I don't read Danielle Steel anymore, I can't remember a time in the last few years when I haven't been in the middle of a book. Commuting definitely plays a roll in that, the train makes for a perfect read - except for when you're crying during The Kite Runner. It's comforting to me when someone takes out a book on the subway, kind of like you have a common bond. Even just plain old curling-up-on-the-couch-with-a-book is always great and lately reading before bed has crept into my nightly routine. There's a trick for insomniacs, try reading a few pages before bed and your eyelids will be drooping and your head nodding in no time!

I'll let you in on a secret, I have this fantasy of one day living in a great brownstown with my very own library, the kind that's built into the wall, and smells like old paper, maybe there'll even be one of those sliding ladders like in Beauty and The Beast ... Now, as much as I enjoy buying books to have, going to the public library is also a treat. Soon after I moved into my apartment, I realized there was a library on 96th and Lex. And, as it turns out in a crazy twist of fate, my dad told me that his mom, Jessie, used to go to that library as a kid! What are the odds. I never had a chance to meet her, but she is the woman behind my middle name, and I think it's so cool that we have this little connection.

96th Street's library is really small and the selection is missing some greats, but I've still managed good finds. The Color Purple by Alice Walker and Look at the Birdie by Kurt Vonnegut made my first round and now I'm reading The Wild Things by Dave Eggers. This novel is based on the screenplay he and Spike Jonze wrote for Where the Wild Things Are, which was based on the illustrated book of the same name. I haven't seen the movie yet, but after reading this book I'd like to. Dave Eggers is an incredible writer. (If anyone is looking for a great piece of non-fiction, please read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.)



I think what I love about reading, is getting lost in the book. The fact that this form of expression, which has no visuals except for what you create in your mind, can move you to tears or drudge up all kinds of emotions, speaks to the power of words. I am 24 years old and thoroughly enjoying a book about a boy named Max who runs away from home to be The King of an island of friendly monsters.

I'm glad I took this out of the library, but I think the next slew of books I get my hands on will be for keeps. I'd like to borrow a few words from Mr. Reading Rainbow himself as I finish, by reminding you all - there's nothing like a good book ... "but you don't have to take my word for it."

1 comment:

  1. Definitly sobbed on the train during the kite runner too. How could you not??

    ReplyDelete