Sunday, February 5, 2012

Warby Parker

I don't know precisely why or when it started, but ever since my teens I've had this glamorized notion that it is really "cool" to wear glasses. At around 18-years-old, my curse wish was finally granted. Finding myself in over-sized lecture halls made me realize I couldn't help but squint to see my distant professor. Driving was no better; traffic lights suddenly became hazardous constellations of color. It was finally time to get me some glasses. Even though my vision is far from terrible, in order to enjoy a movie or even a TV show, glasses are most definitely required.

(I came across this picture online. I currently feel like her.)

It's been a little over two years since I've had a proper eye exam but with one looming, I've been casually searching for a new pair of specs to go along with what I have no doubt will be a stronger lens prescription. My current frames are a dark tortoise shell in a rectangular shape, but this time around I'd like a larger, boxier shape in a lighter shade. My co-worker Rodney recently got a pair of Buddy Holly-esque frames and after inquiring where he got them, he told me about a fantastic website called Warby Parker.

Warby Parker is everything I want in a new set of glasses. After browsing a stylish collection of vintage-inspired looks on either their website or brick-and-mortor store, a glorious $95 (and your prescription) is all that's required to own a trendy pair of eyeglasses.

I'm leaning towards the following frames but I'll make my final decision once I see what these puppies look like in person:

Preston Sandalwood Matte
Sinclair Burgundy Fade
Colton Hazelwood
Beckett Striped Chestnut
Huxley Hazelwood

The old-school feel to Warby Parker's collections got me thinking about what a funny thing fashion is. While styles may change drastically throughout the years, it's only inevitable that outdated styles ultimately become chic once again. I wish I had a picture handy of the gargantuan pair of red glasses my mom rocked during the 80s; the ones she now absolutely shudders to think about. (Picture old-school Sally Jesse Raphael.) While I hope those never come back into fashion, it's anyone's guess as to how I'll think about these frames in 20 years.

1 comment:

  1. I love Warby Parker! The best part about Warby is that they gave frames for every face type. You'll look really good in them

    ReplyDelete